Thursday, March 15, 2018

"Recognizing Racist Microaggressions"

Includes the patently racist "there is only one race--the human race" (which I've heard many folks on the left say, incidentally, in some form or other), as well as the heinously, like, SUPER-MEGA-microaggressive "where were you born?" And don't miss "I think the most qualified person should get the job"...my God don't these people realize it's [current year]?????
   Then there are the hilarious ones that seem to have been lifted from a Leave It To Beaver episode or something, like "You're a girl, you don't have to be good at math." Which, of course, people say all the time these days. Just like: "Women? Vote? Hahaha! Dream on, little lady! Next thing, you'll want to wear pants!" And "Why don't you be a good girl and go make me a sandwich?"
   Also: saying "affirmative action is racist" is...well...I'm sure I don't have to tell you what it is...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Critical Spirits said...

In fairness, some of these things should never be said to anyone. If someone unironically said "Wow you speak English so well!" it would kind of be a dickish thing to say. This is a far cry from claiming that it is racist to do so, however.

This is one way these people get away with this stuff. They choose examples of speech that probably shouldn't be uttered, and then they sneak in the premise that the phrase is racist.

Overkill says me.

I will say that if I was an Asian person, and people exclaimed that I could speak English well, I would be rather peeved. I still do not think that it is racist though. Unless, of course, you adopt the weak, neo-PC version of racism. At most, I think that these phrases could be termed "racially insensitive." Back in my day, racism used to be a much more serious charge.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Critical Spirits said...

Also, the way that these phrases are determined to be racist is like this. "x is a phrase that should not be uttered in civil discourse (i.e. it is a bad thing to say), and x has to do with race. Ergo, x is racist."

Total non-sequitur.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home