Thursday, August 24, 2017

Who Has Real Epistemic And Moral Authority With Respect To The Confederate Statue (And Flag) Issue(s)?

   So I was thinking (and saying) that Lee himself had a great deal of moral and epistemic authority with respect to the issue of Confederate statues. That doesn't seem wrong to me, but I pretty much immediately started thinking that the people with the most epistemic and moral authority here are almost certainly black Americans (and descendants of slaves in particular). Pretty obvious, and I've thought it for a long time...but so obvious that I didn't really think to say it. Of course everybody's had the same idea...dunno why there's not more discussion of it. Maybe everybody thinks it's too obvious to say.
   At any rate: here's a way to get an important, at-least-very authoritative perspective on the issue: find opinion polls on the issue that break out the results by race.
   I'll be astonished if there aren't a lot of such polls... Will look it up when I get a chance, but wanted to get that thought on the table.
   Can't stop obsessing about this stuff...gotta chill out. Starting to interfere with stuff I need to be doing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home