Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Oldest Christopher Columbus Statue In The U.S. Vandalized (in Baltimore)

First, I do think it's important that something approximately like this was predicted (mostly by conservatives). The prediction was that removalism (or whatever you want to call it) would turn its attention on other historical monuments, specifically including those of Founders like Washington and Jefferson. I think this sort of thing confirms the prediction to some extent. (It is, of course, a separate question whether removalism should expand its scope; but many of us predicted that it would.)
   Second, Columbus was a bad guy, and I don't think that it's insane to bring this up and question our respect for him. I don't know what to think about such things...I have no fixed view on the topic. But Columbus was, in fact, brutal. (Unless I've been mislead about the historical facts.)
   Third, I think I am right to have expressed skepticism about the treason argument in support of Confederate statue removalism. I've never been convinced that removalism rested very heavily on that argument. For one thing, the PC/SJ left doesn't really care about treason. They're largely anarchists, and even those who aren't are largely anti-U.S. So I can't believe that they care much about treason. Of course the treason argument does carry weight for people like you and me. And that matters.
   Fourth, it probably goes without saying that I'm against this sort of destruction...but I'm less and less sure of what one is expected to profess anymore...
   And, not to keep seeming crazy, but I'm not insistent about recognizing the role of the hard left in C'ville violence for nothing. Being anti-Klan/anti-Nazi doesn't mean that we have to be blind to the danger on the other side. Or at least it doesn't to my mind...but I'm obviously in the minority, as I've acknowledged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home