Saturday, August 19, 2017

Charles C. W. Cooke, "Let's Rethink Free Speech"


It is high time that the ACLU moved onto the right side of History and abandoned the “narrow reading” of the First Amendment that is the result of 50 years of unanimous Supreme Court precedent. In lieu, it must focus on working toward more diverse and productive ends, such as giving Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump the robust censorship powers that they so richly and urgently deserve. The United States federal government is now run at every level by Republicans. So, indeed, are the lion’s share of the governors’ mansions, statehouses, and localities. If the ACLU really knuckles down, it can ensure that these figures — and not pernicious “neutral” principle — determine the edges and contours of America’s civil society.
Don’t bore me with your objections. Park is a smart woman, and she knows what “hate” is. We all do. Hate is hate. It is not speech; it’s hate. Sometimes hate is violence, even when no action is attached. How do I know, you might ask? I know because hate is, by definition, hateful, and that means it’s not speech. And why isn’t it speech? Because it’s hate, and hate isn’t speech. This is basic common sense, rejected only by haters.
link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Critical Spirits said...

Dammit Winst, you had me for a second.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous John Plato said...

I couldn't believe the ACLU caved and announced they would no longer defend the free speech rights of any armed protester. What a sad end to a long and noble history.

It's probably time they changed their name, though. You can't call yourself the American Civil Liberties Union if you won't defend people who are using all their liberties at once.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, the ACLU has long been non-pro-Second-Amendment, which is what basically kept me from being a card-carrying member.

So this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Though I was not at all wild about seeing heavily-armed people mixed up in that kind of shit-show. I have to agree that it seems like a blueprint for disaster to me.

I do, however, think that this is probably just a first step. The era of free speech is ending across Europe, and in Canada...and I honestly expect that it's just a matter of time for us.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home