Thursday, July 07, 2016

The New Iron Man Is A Black Woman

   You know, I like this kind of thing.
   It kind of loses some of its luster for me a bit against the backdrop of the current political correctness/ "social justice"-ness/ anti-white-male-ness... But not completely...
   I first encountered Iron Man when he was wheelchair-bound, and I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Since this was undoubtedly a sop to PC, I'd probably have gone back to that. It's already "canon," as they (annoyingly) say...
   Anyway. On the one hand, I'm sick to death of PC and the PC bandwagoneers...OTOH...still kinda cool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete Mack said...

Well, PC and having a reasonable expectation of some diversity are not particularly the same thing. And completely literally--adding color helps make comic books pop.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, I feel ya.

Despite my crankiness about this use of the word 'diversity'...

In fact, it's been puzzling to me that there hasn't been more of this kind of thing in comics etc. as I keep saying. I just like it as an extension of the underdog motif.

OTOH, I do have some sympathy with this argument:
It's up to the writers and artists to make such decisions, and they're largely white dudes. So if people tend to identify most strongly with their own race and sex etc...though I wish we all did that less... Well, the solution is for more non-whitedudes to draw and write comics.

Anyway, I do like it, I wish they'd done it before, I'm kinda sorry that they seem to be jumping on the PC bandwagon...but I'm not a stickler about that stuff. Better late/at an inopportune time than never.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home