Thursday, May 19, 2016

Volokh On NYC Pronoun Totalitarianism

He's right.
   I was just complaining about this recently.
   There's more I meant to say, but I don't think I ever got around to it. It's along the same lines as what Volokh is saying. Using feminine pronouns to refer to x presupposes that x is female. Thus forcing you to use feminine pronouns to refer to x is tantamount to demanding that you say that x is female, thus demanding (in some cases) that you say something false, and something you don't believe. It's also to demand that you indirectly affirm certain theories of sex and gender, and it's damn close to demanding that you accept an antirealist/constructionist metaphysics...
   In my book, honestly, this is no better than a law demanding that people make certain religious affirmations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home