Friday, March 11, 2016

GOP Candidates Want Another Iraq

Drum
   I only watched a fragment of the debate, but I did hear that crap, and just couldn't believe it.
Even aside from the insanity on this particular issue, this crap is one of general types of things that makes me crazy about the GOP in general. Here's a situation in which there are no good options. You basically have to pick your poison and go with it. Obama has chosen what is plausibly the least-bad of the available poisons. I'm pretty inclined to think that is the least-bad, actually...but let's be charitable to the 'Pubs and say it isn't clear. In response, the GOP pretends--or actually talks itself into believing--that it is the worst possible option, and the opposite has to be right, and obviously so.
   And so let's have another Iraq, ok? Because one of our two major parties is run by insane children who are driven more by their puerile petulance and ODS than by anything approximating actual reflection on the facts.
   Here's what I demand from our elected officials: don't be obviously goddamn stupid. Pretending that it's obvious that we need another invasion of Iraq is absolutely obviously off-the-scale goddamn stupid. Obama never does things like that, and that's why I'm a fan. I don't always agree with his decisions. I'm sure that the outcomes of his policies will sometimes turn out to be sub-optimal. But it's hard for me to think of a single major decision he's made that was clearly stupid. Sadly, the GOP is incapable of meeting even this fairly permissive standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home