Monday, July 14, 2014

Roy vs. McCants: Who You Gonna Trust?

Seems like an open-and-shut case...

The ABCers are pushing this hard, but we'll all be surprised if the new investigation finds anything different than the previous investigations. On the one side, you've got Roy and basically everyone else ever associated with Carolina basketball. On the other side you've got Willingham, Jay Smith and Rashad McCants...an incompetent, a nutty publicity-seeker who hates Carolina athletics and is trying to sell a book, and a guy who everyone knows is neither stable nor credible.

I'm happy for the investigation...except that I expect it won't change much, really. The accusations have been big news; the inevitable retractions after they've been discredited have been buried. So it's a lose-lose proposition for Carolina...

Still, regardless of what happens in the media shit show, the truth matters to Carolina fans, and we want it to out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

Okay, for lack of novelty, the opiion here seems highly biased.

As is mine.

I think athletics has no place in academia. It's a waste of time, money, resources, etc.

And I've watched too many students who should never have been in college passed through because they were "athletes". Gee, they can play a game for a living, let's give them a degree.

And every time one of thse "investigations" finds the athletics department guiltless I roll my eyes (I'm not unbiased, I don't claim to be).

And the amount of resource expended on athletes, most of whom don't pay tuition, is ridiculous. I'd much rather spend the resources on students who need help and pay tuition!

So, to be blunt, get rid of the entire fucking mess known as athletics and you'll get rid of people/critics like me.

FWIW,

~hbr221f (Mark)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I don't disagree with you, Mark. If I could flip a switch and eliminate big-time college sports I would probably do it.

But, since we have it, I think it ought to be done right. Every indication is that the Carolina hoops program has done things *very* right since Dean...with the possible exception of Dougherty, who we got rid of *post haste*...

Anyway, I enjoy the hell out of Carolina hoops, I want the truth to out and I hope it continues to be good news...but I think it's a bad system.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home