Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Trouble With "Privilege"

I've made a lot of these points myself, and I still think they're right. But THIS guy does it better/more systematically.

I'll admit, a lot of my antipathy toward the term/concept is linked to the fact that the people who use it are so very wrong about so very much... But worse (for me): the people who use it are just annoying. Like "problematic," "privilege" has simply become a mantra used by extremely passionate--but, IMHO, not terribly thoughtful--very, very, lefty types. And I am as averse to far lefties as I am to far righties. I do think that there's a point buried in the concept...but it's not worth stretching to try to excavate it, IMO, when so much is wrong with the way the concept is typically deployed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home