Saturday, June 09, 2012

Comparing Fox and MSNBC Prime Time

Tod Kelly watches and compares/live-blogss the prime time lineups of Fox  and MSNBC.

The verdict is about what you'd think--or about what I thought, anyway:

Fox: utterly insane, the propaganda wing of the GOP

MSNBC: loony as shit, except for Maddow, who is too reasonable and interesting to be on cable news.

I don't even know where Fox is on my dial. I only watch MSNBC on the rare occasions when I catch either Chris Matthews or Maddow. Yeah, I've got a soft spot for Matthews. Maybe because he's a Tar Heel. So sue me. Maddow's pretty good, but still a little partisan or something for my taste. But good. No doubt about that.

I basically just avoid all cable news on account of its being f*cking stupid. Fox: wall-to-wall conservative douchebaggery, the mouthpiece of the fever swamps. MSNBC: loony, boring and embarrassing to liberals. CNN: just plain shit. Far less shitty than the other two, mind you...but still just embarrassingly stupid. But stupid and fairly objective is light-years ahead of stupid and partisan. I'll give 'em that... OTOH, they maintain decent objectivity only in the sense of a kind of he said-she said balance. That is, they pretend that both sides are equally bad. Crap, but crap I can still respect in a kind of way.

Kelly points out something that I've marveled at before: every single newscastress on Faux news looks the same. All bleach-blonde-bombshell types. It's no secret that conservative guys seem to, let us say, not get out of the house enough. If you think that Anne Coulter is hot, you've got some serious problems. Michelle Malkin...well, she so flat-out batty--screechy, spittle-flecked, wild-eyed, bugshit crazy--that it pains me to admit that she'd be really hot if she were even vaguely sane. But, at any rate, any even vaguely hot conservative woman will go far in America. Palin, Laura Ingram, that witchy woman...what was her name? Anyway, Fox capitalizes on the fact that its viewers don't know any women, and sticks a cartoonish blonde on screen at every opportunity.

Anyway, I think the Kelly pieces are worth a glance. One ends up skimming much of the Fox stuff, and the Ed Shultzy / Laurence O'Donnelly bits in the MSNBC piece. We know what they're like, and there's no need to hear all the gory details. But props to Kelly for sitting through and transcribing all that.

Winner: MSNBC, by a Maddow.

Far too close for comfort for anyone who wants to defend MSNBC. If you're not leaving Fox totally in the dust, you've got some serious soul-searching to do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home