Saturday, March 17, 2012

Go Cyclones, Beat the Wildcat$

My official position has been that I want UK in the final game. They managed to eke out a 1-point win against us at Rupp, Calipari teams represent the Dark Side, and I want the Heels to take 'em out.

Thirty seconds into this game, I realized that I want them to lose early as a repudiation of Calipari and everything he represents and of any fan base that would get behind him, and that it is impossible for me not to root for whoever is playing them.

Kentucky is long and talented, and Iowa State will have a hard time beating them...but GO CYCLONES. Beat 'em. No Calipari team deserves to win. Ever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious if you felt the same about Butch Davis and a fan base that would get behind him.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Honestly, I don't follow football at all and don't understand what happened there. All I hear is from the Carolina boards--and then just the fallout that shows up on the hoops boards.

Personally, I didn't want Carolina to even try to step up its football program, because they are too expensive and too hard to police, since there are too many people on them. I am skeptical about the NCAA because I think it favors popular teams. And so forth.

Furthermore, among the few things I know about the situation, there's the strange NCAA ruling that UNC should have been monitoring the players' social media activity...though there is, they said, no general obligation of schools to do so. That can't be right.

But yes, in general, I don't care who it is, and I don't think Carolina should get special treatment. If a program is playing dirty, then it doesn't deserve to win, and needs to be appropriately punished.

I like Thorpe, and my default position is to trust his decision about firing Davis.

I've just averted my mental gaze from that whole football debacle.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home