Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mitt and the White Horse Prophecy
Mormonism and Theocracy

Worth a read.

When I was a teenager I had Mormon friends, so I got to know a thing or two about Mormonism and Mormons. I found much to admire about them, including their dedication to hard work and learning, their generosity, and their tight-knit, supportive community. In the end, however, I concluded that they were more than a little cultish. I'm not a fan of religion in general, and less a fan of Mormonism than most other versions of Christianity. I'd like to say something really liberal here like "oh, a candidate's religion is irrelevant to..." etc. But I don't honestly believe that. For awhile I pinned my hopes on Romney being a bad Mormon, but that seems implausible...

I have to say, I'm a bit concerned about Mormonism in general, and in particular about their commitment to spreading their religion by the time-tested strategy of  out-reproducing their rivals. Overpopulation is, IMO, perhaps the most serious problem we face, and Mormonism is doing its damnedest to exacerbate the problem. Furthermore, ex-Mormons frequently have pretty scary things to say about their time in the church. The information at the other end of the link above does not exactly work to defuse my concerns about the religion. I can't find the exact quote, but if Romney does actually think that the Declaration of Independence is a theological document, that's obviously a big problem. On the other hand, this might be a kooky belief currently shared by a large number of Republicans...though that's cold comfort...

Liberal that I am, I can't help worrying that I'm just falling prey to some prejudice here...  Do let me know if that's the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home