Friday, June 03, 2011

The Last Mountain

Massey Energy is in the process of blowing up Coal River Mountain, the highest remaining mountain in West Virginia. Here is the story of those who fought the destruction.

Big coal has destroyed the 500 biggest mountains in West Virginia. They set off enough explosives every week to equal a Hiroshima-sized bomb. They're destroying mountains that have been here since the creation of Pangea, all to remove a substance that, when burned, is one of the main drivers of global warming.

I'm no Luddite, nor some hippie-dippy Utopian who thinks we don't need much energy. But this, my friends, is insane.

5 Comments:

Blogger Random Michelle K said...

May I remind you that Massey is the group that brought you the Upper Big Branch Mine Disaster, and an independent investigation found that (SHOCKINGLY) was caused by a failure to follow safety procedures (because they got in the way of making money).

Mine operators also want to take out Blair Mountain.

I love my state, but I really really can't stand some of the damned coal companies.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they think that the world is flat

6:00 AM  
Blogger Random Michelle K said...

Not quite Anonymous. They think the world SHOULD be flat.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Random Michelle K,
I was riffing on "Earthmover" by Southern Culture on the Skids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxDqv3_ysdM

8:00 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

MK--

Ugh. Right. *That* Massey Energy. What a piece work they are.

Sorry we're all flattening your state with our air conditioners... I'm trying to cut back, for my part.

A--
LOL SCOTS! I love those guys...

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home