Thursday, February 25, 2010

Palin Birtherism

Well, there's this.

I must regretfully admit that I've long thought that Andrew Sullivan was not obviously a kook for pushing these questions. I hope I'm separated from the Obama birthers by the fact that (a) I think that the prior probability of some kind of shenanigans of this sort is low, low, low, and (b) I don't want it to be true. In fact I want it to go away. I want to be able to say that the Palin birthers are nuts. I hope these pics are fake, or that there is some obvious explanation. I want to be able to say that Sullivan is nutty about this. But I can't. That is, I can't rule out some kind of weird, warped switcheroo. I don't think there was a switch. I'm fairly sure that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation here. But I must regretfully admit that I can't rule it out.

Grumble.

Just let it rest already I'm a reasonable kind of guy, and I don't want to be the guy who thinks this might even possibly be true.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winston, it's great that you're back posting substantively, and I thought for a moment that I had something to say about this post. But now, I can't. It was the ad at the top of the blog. Some keyword searcher, context ignoring as always, places these ads, and consequently - you name them often - we get lots of ads for right-wing this and that. Fine, I can ignore that. Today however, no doubt having latched on to some philosophy key words, the site posted a video ad for Scientology.

I know you cannot possibly control the content of the ads, but... Scientology. Getting the 3 mins a click cannot be worth it. Take down the ads, and let the blog return to being the occasional happy byproduct of your insomnia.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Ugh.

The Mystic has been gently prodding me on this issue ever since an Anne Coulter ad appeared up there.

I guess you're right.

Turns out that Google ads don't pay you anything until you make your first $100. Since I've spent a ridiculous number of hours on this blog and never made any filthy lucre, I thought I'd wait until I make my hundred bucks. But I think I've probably gotta draw the line at Scientology...

I'm probably too lazy/busy to undo it now, but I guess you're right, I'd better get rid of 'em.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Godd*amn it, as soon as I posted the comment above, a %*$&& A. Coulter ad appeared on my screen.

That tears it.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home