Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down

Well, let me note once again that I know nothing about literature, so don't expect any insights here. But I did enjoy A Long Way Down, and if you like Nick Hornby, you're likely to like it, too. It's not formulaic or predictable, the characters live and breathe, and their words and thoughts are frequently a hoot. Not a book that changed my life, but interesting and enjoyable and when you're done you feel like your time was reasonably well-spent. That's a lot more than I can say for most novels. Philosoraptor says: check it out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have you read Hornby's "How to be Good?" It's about a woman whose sarcastic but reliable husband finds religion and brings home his new guru. I found it pretty thought provoking - how DO you deal when someone you love becomes a different person? Don't worry though - it isn't so serious that itloses the humor you noted in Long Way Down. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to someone who has enjoyed Hornby's other books.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

You know, I started reading _How To Be Good_ last year, and I liked it, but it got lost in the pile of books next to my bed. When the tectonic action of the book pile brings it to the surface again, I'll snag it.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home