Sunday, June 01, 2008

Preachergate, Part Duh

Wow. It's clear that the Jeremiah Wright incident was blown way, way out of proportion, and was largely the product of dishonest editing of a Youtube clip. But this latest bit, the Pfleger bit...not so much.

It's hard to be reasonable about such things when the anti-Obama partisans are being so gut-wrenchingly unreasonable. I expect that most people are like me--in the face of such unreasonable attacks, I have a fairly strong tendency to harden my position. Unreasonable, I know. But there it is. It's a problem I'm working on.

But I have to say, this latest episode of preachergate is pretty hard to ignore. I found Pfleger's mean-spirited cavorting repellent in the extreme. I'm not sure what to make of that, really; I'm just reporting my undigested reaction.

Obama has resigned from the church, and that seems like pretty much of a no-brainer at this point, a course of action probably called for both by principle and expedience.

Unfortunately, this will probably get more attention than any of the loony recent output from Clinton and McCain, even though there is no significant link between Pfleger and Obama. Clinton continues to make up Rube Goldbergesque arguments for the conclusion that she should be the nominee, without regard for reason or fairness, and McCain still doesn't seem to have a grip on the distinction between Sunnis and Shia. In a more rational environment, people would be up in arms about Clinton's apparent willingness to cheat and McCain's seeming ignorance. But somehow I'm guessing that's not what we're really going to hear about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home