Friday, March 28, 2008

Doing the Obama Thing

Well, tomorrow morning I'm off to a meeting for folks who are going to volunteer for Obama. I've been kind of holding off on real commitment, sending some money but kind of keeping my distance. But the other day I was thinking about 2000... I volunteered for Gore, but only in a kind of half-hearted way, having allowed the conservative noise machine to bamboozle me. I mean, it was pretty obvious that Bush was an unqualified loser (though, I mean, nobody had any inkling he could be this bad). But I kept thinking something like jeez, those people all seem so certain that Gore would be terrible...what am I missing? As a liberal, of course, I am too open-minded to take my own side in an argument...

So, anyway. Though I have some worries about Obama, he is, so far as I can tell, clearly the best of the three remaining candidates. And not just the best, of course, but possibly--just possibly--someone capable of doing something genuinely transformative.

So there it is. I guess it's official.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Hey, I played an Obama benefit a month or two ago. I won't vote for him, but I figured, hey, we could do worse.

Lately, I'm not so sure, but the important things are your intentions and your feelings.

So go for it, my man. You've proven to me how very persuasive and courteous you are towards the unconvinced.

12:29 AM  
Blogger lovable liberal said...

Typical Tomism. Meeting halfway - NOT! Healthy dollop of sneering with disingenuous attempts at fellow-feeling. Most important to the logic of the "conversation", a clear inability to distinguish between 'unconvinced' and 'unconvinceable'.

Here, let me try it:

Hey, I agreed with you myself once, a month ago. I don't agree with you now, but we could have Caligula in a dress instead of grammatical troll. So, great!

Lately, though, I'm thinking you might be weeping from the brickbats, but the important thing is that you got your inner compulsion off your chest. Again.

So keep smacking WS around, pal. You've always shown me how serious and rational and ready to seek the truth you are.


Nope, I missed it. No semantic conflation in the last sentence, just sarcasm. I really need to work on my conflation skills. Another try:

So keep smacking everyone else around, TVD. You've ever so shown me how you are respecting reality.

Well, not so much a conflation as a pun 'respecting', but...

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, two unpleasant comments, when I was hoping for something interesting.


Anyway, Best of luck in your canvassing, or whatever it is you are planning to volunteer for. I think Obama already has NC pretty much locked up, but every vote counts.

As for convincing people--apparently it just takes someone to think they'd like to have a beer with you--shouldn't be too high a bar.

-mac

10:55 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Caligula in a dress

Good one.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home