Monday, December 03, 2007

Midnight Spaghetti and the Chocolate G-Strings

These guys just plain kick ass. I'd say they rock--and they do--though I guess more technically they funk. My music taxonomy is not as nuanced as that of music nerds, but Midnight Spaghetti plays some kind of super-energetic neo-retro-funk...or something. They've got sharp, smart lyrics and a magnetic vibe that virtually forces you to dance. It's like they are simultaneously channeling George Clinton and Frank Zappa. And when they cover "Play That Funky Music," you'll think that an extra-dimensional giant funk robot monster doppleganger of funky, funky death has come to take over the Earth.

In the interest of full disclosure, one of my former students is in the band...but I don't think that's affecting my evaluation here. One thing you kind of get used to as a professor is having students in bands...and they often want you to come see them perform. It's always fun, but, well, not always great. These guys, however, are freaking awesome. They play mostly in VA, the NC coast, and some spots up in PA, I think...but if you get a chance to see 'em, don't pass it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home