Thursday, August 02, 2007

James Hynes: Damn Fun Reading

So I picked up James Hynes's The Lecturer's Tale the other day and read it for, I think, the third time in about four years. Damn, that is just a good, solid, well-written, insightful, funny, entertaining and enjoyable book. If we're just talking about books I flat-out enjoy reading, this one is near the very top of the list.

Like most of his other books, The Lecturer's Tale combines the two genres that I find most enjoyable: academic novels and horror/supernatural. Add to that some dead-on, no-holds-barred lampooning of PoMo lit-critters, and you've got an irresistible mix in my book.

I've also read Hynes's Publish and Perish: Three Tales of Tenure and Terror and Kings of Infinite Space. They're both worth a read, especially the former, but The Lecturer's Tale is IMHO the best of the bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home