Thursday, March 15, 2007

Good News From Iraq?

Andrew Sullivan links to a story that goes all 404y when one tries to get it.

Probably too good to be true...but stranger things have happened. Cross yer fingers, pray, sacrifice a goat, or whatever it is you do. Maybe, just maybe, this won't turn from a disaster into a mega-giga-hyper-disaster.

As you know, I've been very tentatively pro-surge...while admitting that I don't actually have a right to an opinion here, that the weight of expert opinion is against me, etc., etc. I still admit that I've got no right to speak on this, and that no one should in any way even think about taking my opinion on this seriously, and so forth. But I have to say, it isn't going to surprise me all that much if Petraeus's plan does some serious good. I'm not gonna bet the farm on it...but it's better, sez me, than giving up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Gen. Petraeus wants a few more troops. First Pelosi & Co. win congress, the way is clear to get us out in 2008, then this surge thing pops up and does OK and success no longer appears impossible. It's enough to make a member of the reality-based community's head explode.

Speaking as a dead-ender, I don't envy you guys. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Um, who's "you guys"?

YOU GUYS have been wrong about absolutely everything up to this point...so, um, given the choice between being YOU GUYS and the other guys...well, the others have a much, much better track record...

As for me, I've been right about just about everything so far, incidentally, though just barely and just by luck in several cases. Currently I'm moderately pro-surge, and excited about the prospect that it might actually be working.

But I AM worried, since it puts me on the side of YOU GUYS, though just accidentally. You guys are pro-surge because you've been pro-every-damn-use-of-the-military so far...and seem to be frantically trying to have some vaguely plausible grounds for claiming that Bush is not the worst president every and Iraq is not the worst strategic blunder ever.

But a lucky save in the 9th inning might give you rhetorica cover, it doesn't change the fact that you guys have screwed a whole kennel full of pooches on this one.

So, though I more-or-less accidentally side with YOU GUYS on this one, one can't but worry given that, on Iraq, YOU GUYS have, as they say, been wrong about everything, all the time.

So, anyway: I'd stow that smugness if I were you. It's fairly laughable given the facts.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Sorry, I meant Democrats, not you, really WS. You think for yourself.

Pelosi and Obey have to pick now to shoot their mouths off, as if there's some hurry to fail. Even a lukewarm supporter of the surge would have to question their prudence.

(Neither are the Democrats who voted for the war in the clear, but they seem to be getting away with it, at least to their supporters.)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home