Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Six Feet Under (and Deadwood)
Some Uninteresting Personal Musement

Well, as I've noted I've been news-deprived of late. No 'net access, no teevee...and I haven't even been listening to NPR. Haven't been getting the newspaper...pretty much nothing for three weeks. Lemme tell 'ya, it's been damn nice. I'm not walking around pissed off all the time. Ah, blissful ignorance...

But what I have been doing in my down time is reading lots of philosophy and renting large numbers of DVDs. Now, nobody wants to hear about the former, but if you're foolish enough to listen to anything I have to say about politics, then perhaps you're foolish enough to care what I think about television shows. Who knows? Anyway, I just throw this crap out to see what people have to say about it anyway...

Deadwood...well, watched two seasons of that. Kinda catchy. We'll probably watch more when it becomes available. You gotta love that old West quasi-Shakespearean dialogue sprinkled liberally with the foulest curses. Tres amusing.

Six Feed Under...well...we'd watched the first four seasons some time ago, and thought it was fairly amusing...but towards the end of season 4 we figued we'd had enough. Unable to find anything else worth renting, we started in on season 5. It didn't do much for me...but all I really want to talk about is the last 3 or 4 minutes. If you haven't seen it and are interested in doing so, read no farther, as a big fat spoiler lurks below.

This is just the interstitial filler paragraph for those who don't want to see a spoiler but who, due to ocular incontinence, can't resist the urge to glance down to see what's up.

Man, that last couple of minutes really damn blew me away. The Claire-driving-to-NYC-death-montage. I don't know what it is...and I have no mind for literature or feeelm, so I can't say anything interesting about it...and for all I know it actually sucks. But it literally made me cry (note: yes, this means I'm a wimp. What of it?), and has stuck with me for two days so far. Christ. Dunno what it is. The rapid flashes-forward, all the deaths there right at the end...consistent, I guess, with the whole theme of the show. Perhaps it was their own little spin on the answer to the question everybody wants to ask when they get to the end of a story they've enjoyed--what happens to the characters after that? Well, what happens, of course, is that they freaking die. It's what happens to everybody, numb nut.

I just don't know...something about these fast flashes, death, wedding, death, wedding, death, death, death...all these characters you've developed this affection for...up to Claire's death in like 2085 at like 102 or something...like the last flickering flame of their familial microcosm...just the end. Sure did hit me hard.

Jesus, how lame am I?

Anyway. One unrelated thing: for a long time I've wanted to be buried in approximately the way Nate was in the show, though I didn't know you could really do it. (Maybe they just made it up, though. Guess I'd better Google it.) Give up the organs, no embalming, just plant me somewhere nice with a little marker...though I think I'd like a pine box instead of just a shroud. Johnny Quest has told me that I need to tell more people than her about this. So here it is, anonymous though it might be, right on the internet. That's how I want to go out. Cremation and evisceration-embalming-and-painting just seem too awful to even contemplate...though I guess the former might be a tad less horrific. Or maybe not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home