Thursday, March 09, 2006

Is Iraq Showing Signs of Civil War?: Albritton on Peters

This from Back to Iraq 3.0 is worth a read, especially if you, like me, wondered how much truth might be in Ralph Peters's recent piece.

I'm not familiar with Peters, but his piece was extremely sloppy, so I gave it a low credibility rating (note his completely unsupported dismissal of the claim about 1,300 dead). Still, there seem to be enough Peters-like accounts coming out of Iraq to make me think that we've got one of those blind-men-groping-an-elephant cases. It seems like there are better areas and worse areas, and each area has better days and worse days. Even journalists who are actually on the ground are seeing only a small piece of the puzzle. The real question is: what are the overall patterns and trends like? I think everyone has to admit that it doesn't look good, though I'm disinclined to think that disaster (er, greater disaster, that is) is inevitable.

5 Comments:

Blogger rilkefan said...

Jim Henley is on this.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When reporters can roam about Bhagdad or any other Iraqi city outside the confines of a U.S. military vehicle or unit, you might have reason for optimism.

Until then...not so much.

I road around in a tank and didn't get shot at is, to say the least, less than comforting. The idea that anyone would take this as a genuine sign of progress is stupid and sad.

Not saying you did, but plenty of other folks are guilty. Embedded reporter isn't shot at!

Great. Idiots.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, rode, not road around in tanks.

I'll leave out the idiot comment, as I apparently am one.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albritton's latest, The Big Lie is even better.

Oh, and I wonder what part of the elephant the 87 people who were found dead today are part of.

I think that's got to be your worst analogy yet.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here's another good one from the "rational conservative" pespective over at Belgravia Dispatch. I look forward to the mea culpa he's promising. Nice to see someone who's willing to own up to his mistakes on the pro war side.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home