Friday, January 06, 2006

Bush's Bipartisan Sham

So, five years into his disastrous presidency, Bush deigns to talk to a group containing people who diagree with him. For ten minutes.

I suppose you don't need me to tell you how absurd this is. Incestuous amplification has been one of the most powerful and destructive forces driving this administration since the beginning. I was astounded when I heard reports that he'd held this meeting, then astounded that I could be astounded by such a thing. Then I heard that the participants had been allowed to speak for 5-10 minutes and figured that they must have meant 5-10 minutes each...but apparently it was 5-10 minutes total.

Even now, deeply into the most disastrous and disastrously isolated presidency of modern times, these people aren't willing to consider the possibility that they might be wrong about anything. The closest they can come to listening to dissenting opinions is a photo op. They still see every problem as a PR problem; thus the "solution" never requires them to learn more or admit error, it just requires them to persuade others to agree with them.

The press and the public and the Democrats should be ridiculing this sham mercilessly.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can't find the words to express my contempt for all this.

1 Comments:

Blogger matthew christman said...

"They still see every problem as a PR problem; thus the "solution" never requires them to learn more or admit error, it just requires them to persuade others to agree with them."

That sentence perfectly identifies the central reason that the Bush administration is so uniquely awful. If they were just conservative ideologues, they would still be awful, but not uniquely awful. Their unique awfulness comes from the the fact that they see all problems SOLEY as political problems. That's pretty damn rare, for a group of people ostensibly charged with running a government to see every issue before than entirely through the lens of perception, with absolutely no consideration for actually dealing with the substance of said issue. For the life of me, I can't think of any other administration, American or otherwise, with this particular idiosyncracy.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home