Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Orwell Was Right
Or:
The Right Brothers: Bad and Wrong

Oh god. Huxley was right, too.

We've got a full-blown marketing/propaganda blitz on our hands, amigos. The latest salvo: this by "The Right Brothers."

Thanks God it's . Thank God it's total ass. I mean it's hideously, hideously terrible. Because it is so suckful I'm not worried about its impact. In fact I feel a little like I did when I found out that Springsteen was going to play for Kerry and Foghat was (allegedly, but not in fact) going to play for Bush.

[As Johnny Quest just pointed out to me, despite what Ken Olberman thinks, this song clearly IS a joke. But, in my defense, things have gotten so surreal that it wasn't much of a stretch to think that it was for real.]

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

"...Al Qaida now is finding out
America won’t turn and run
once the fighting has begun..."


Wishful thinking.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

[I leave it to others to suss out whether or not it's parody, WS (and Johnny). But since great parody seeks above all to be true to itself, it sometimes ends up in a place other than where the author intended it. In this case, irony upon irony, bouncing about in a hall of wiggly mirrors.

His politics aside, Tim Robbins is a great artist. His Bob Roberts, a satire of a right-wing folksinger turned politician, hit so many right notes that Robbins refused to release the soundtrack, fearful that the songs would become anthems for us Neanderthals.

He did such a masterful job on them, his fears were probably justified.]

9:07 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Your startin' ta scare me a little here Tom...

9:34 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

It took this long, WS?

I was wondering if the brevity of my note was adequate to express the genius of my thought.

But seriously, folks, the better the parody, the more indistinguishable it is from reality.

My bar band used to play some Spinal Tap, which was better than most real music.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, why do we think this is a joke, exactly? I mean, they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble if it is one.

Not to say that the joke and the Ding an Sich may not become one in some ineffable way.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Oh--sorry Tom.

Matt--I...uh...it's got to be a joke...because it's such a joke? I'm not saying it's impossible that it's for real, I'm just saying that that's now where I'd put my money if I had to bet on the issue.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new best way to fight terrorism.

Dear god...

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home