Sunday, July 03, 2005

Yorktown Etc.

Spent yesterday walking and driving around the Yorktown battlefield. Extremely weird that, though I'm a Revolutionary War buff and taught at William and Mary for awhile I've never done that before. There was a warm, gentle rain yesterday, and almost no one there. It was a strange and moving experience, akin to those I've had at Gettysburg and Thermopylae. If you go down towards the creek from General Washington's encampment you can drink from the spring he used.

In Richmond now, and we'll probably drive down to Yorktown again today to see the re-enactments.

Oops, time to go!

2 Comments:

Blogger rilkefan said...

"It was a strange and moving experience, akin to those I've had at ... Thermopylae"

Gritting teeth in envy.

"The Spartans on the sea-wet rock sat down and combed their hair."

12:50 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I feel your pain, 'fan.

Only reason I ended up there is that Johnny Quest's clan is Greek...

My advice to everyone is: go there if at all possible!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home