Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Back from Bear Island
or
Otters and Moonbeams

Back from an unscheduled camping trip to Bear Island, NC, perhaps my favorite place on Earth. Blessed is the State Park system, for only there is the coast safe from the depredations of McDonalds and subdividers. Let's hope we get through the next three years without the system being privatized...

Saw a river otter up close for the first time ever, but didn't have my telephoto lens with me, so I don't have much of interest to show. Also saw, for the first time I can recall, what must have been moonbeams. It was one night before the full moon, and the moonlight seemed to be broken into barely discernable beams by some wispy clouds. The moonbeams--if that's what they were--were so faint as to be barely perceptible and so indistinct that we couldn't even tell whether they exhibited a regular pattern. I'm pretty unobservant, but don't recall having seen such a phenomenon before.

Anway, glad to see you all didn't tear the place up while I was gone. It sure was nice to sleep out under the stars and put politics out of my mind for awhile. More later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike."

John Muir, 1912

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home