Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Carolina's Most Important Stat: GPA

O.k., I'll stop with the hoops posts here directly, but I just can't resist this one. The DTH reports that our guys had the highest GPA among all teams in the NCAA tournament.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you probably realize that some of those schools aren't exactly academic powerhouses, either, and some not too honest about the whole, um, academic component of college, so this is particularly impressive.

I tried to get the story of the rally yesterday from Johnny Quest, but this was made difficult by the fact that she kept bursting into tears while discussing the thing. Apparently there was much quasi-Aristotelian talk about achieving human excellence, and much of being part of a community, and suchlike. Roy wouldn't stop talking about Kansas, which is one of the reasons we all love him. I think May said he would be staying, but I couldn't tell because JQ mostly just talked about how he was so sweet that she was going to marry him--which would be too bad for me, of course, but, hey, he deserves the best is the way I look at it. She also said that there was so much blue and so much cheering and so much LUV in the air that Rashad McCants stopped at one point and said "you people are crazy."

God, I can't believe I missed it. I'll be down there this weekend though, grooving on the residual vibes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, of the 65 teams in the NCAA tournament this year, only six had higher graduation rates than UNC:

Much to be proud of in Chapel Hill.

(Here's the report:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/media/ides/Table%20-%20Mens%20Division%20I%20Grad%20Rates%20FINAL.pdf

This was widely repeated in the media a few weeks ago.)

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home